Monday, April 7, 2014

Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

I've always liked anything mint flavored and mint chocoate chip ice cream has always been a favorite in our household, so I thought I could try a mint chocolate chip cupcake.  When I started searching out recipes, I couldn't find anything that was really what I wanted, so I decided to make my own. I wanted swirled frosting, because that seems to be a popular thing lately. I ended up liking this technigue the most because it seemed the easiest, and it turned out to be fairly simple. I found a good chocolate frosting recipe, halved it and it worked perfectly. I got the peppermint recipe from here and it was the perfect amount! I used the same cake recipe from my last post, and just added a few mini chips to enforce the chocolate chip part of the cake. Hope that if anyone actually reads this you give this recipe a shot! Leave a comment or something fun like that. :)




Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Yield: 24 Cupcakes
Ingredients
Chocolate Cake: 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix

4 eggs
2/3 cup oil
1 small pkg. chocolate instant pudding
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Mint Frosting:
for the chocolate:

1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cup powdered sugar (more if needed)
 
for the peppermint:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
green food dye (if desired)
spcae

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.  

2. Sift cake mix into a bowl and set it aside.
3. In a large bowl, gently whisk eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract together.
4. Add cake mix and pudding mix, stir until combined.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Chocolate Frosting: Beat butter until smooth. Add cocoa, milk and vanilla, mix again. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. (If the frosting is too runny, add more cocoa until it thickens up and balance it out with powdered sugar, depending on your taste preference.)
7. Peppermint Frosting: Beat butter until smooth. Add peppermint extract and milk, and mix again. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add green food dye one drop at a time until you have reached your desired shade.  
8. Put frosting in respective bags and pipe onto cupcakes. Use the tutorial here!
10. Top cupcakes with mini chocolate chips.

Cake ingredients!

It was pretty dark out when I took these photos, so I tried
to photoshop in some brightness... didn't work too well. Sorry!


No comments:

Post a Comment